March 30, 2008: Conference Proceedings material due from presenters
Tutorials are formally prepared sessions at which instructors teach conference participants specific usability or design skills. One-third to one-half of each session must involve audience participation. Session sizes range from 10 to 100 participants. For 2008, we invite new submissions, submissions from previous years and encourage a variety of state-of-the-art topics.
Full-day (6 hours of instruction) or an evening session (2.5 hours of instruction).
Benefits of Presenting
- UPA pays an honorarium to tutorial instructors based on the number of registered participants:
Up to 30 registered participants - Base rate of $1,000 for one full-day tutorial, $2,000 for a two-day tutorial, $500 for an evening tutorial.
- 31 to 50 participants - Base rate plus $75 for each additional participant in a full day, $37.50 for evening tutorials.
- 51 to 100 participants - Base rate plus $50 for each additional participant in a full day tutorial, $25 for evening tutorials.
- When registration falls below a break-even point (which may be 5 to 10 participants), the tutorial is subject to cancellation by UPA.
- UPA provides printed copies of your tutorial booklet for participants.
Thank you to Ellen Story, Kate Gomoll and Sarah Agarwal for permission to use these.
Proposal submission closed
- Submissions for proposals closed October 15, 2007.
- Download the Tutorials Checklist to ensure that your submission meets the requirements.
- Download and complete the Tutorials Submission Template.
- Download and complete the Presenter Biography Template.
- UPA does not cover expenses for any other instructional materials, such as exercises and handouts.
- Tutorial instructors do not receive free or discounted registration for the UPA conference.
- If a tutorial has two or more instructors, the honorarium will be shared among them (unless otherwise arranged).
- Deborah Hinderer Sova
- Hank Henry