Usability Body of Knowledge
The Usability Body of Knowledge (BoK) project is dedicated to creating a living reference that represents the collective knowledge of the usability profession and provides an authoritative source of reference and define the scope of the profession.
(UPA 2005 Poster: Duane Degler explains the
project to Thomas Callaghan. Photo:Chauncey Wilson)
The BOK will:
- Define the knowledge underlying the usability profession.
- Describe and provide pointers to methods, knowledge, and skills that are important for usability professionals.
- Promote the advancement, understanding, and recognition of the usability profession among those who interact with the usability community.
- Facilitate professional development for usability practitioners at any stage in their careers, as well as people who come to usability from other backgrounds/disciplines.
- Provide the basis for future curriculum development.
- Provide support for professional development and any future certification schemes.
- Promote integration and connections with related disciplines.
It will be used by practitioners, colleages in related fields, students, educators, researchers managers and even policymakers.
The preview of the Usability Body of Knowledge has been released. This website introduces the subject areas that will make up the Usability Body of Knowledge and preview some sample content.
UXPA welcomes your contribution as an author or reviewer of BoK. Learn how to get involved!
The BoK working group consists of:
- Nigel Bevan
- Duane Degler
- Lisa Battle
- Carol Smith
- Chauncey Wilson
- Ben Werner