Chapter Members Meet In-Person
The UPA conference is one of the few opportunities for chapter representatives from all over the world to finally meet face-to-face. The enthusiasm, energy, and professionalism of UPA chapter volunteers never cease to impress me and this year's meeting reinforced that feeling.
This year, for the first time, we held a reception for chapter representatives where we all had the opportunity to put faces to familiar names. A working meeting followed, which very rewarding for me, since I got an opportunity to listen first-hand to the needs and demands of chapters. Among the things discussed at the working meeting were ways to:
- support cooperation between chapters
- increase international participation at the conference
- promote UPA chapters, both at the conference and to prospective members
We also discussed the importance of clarifying the chapters' role in UPA and their contribution to the association. We are now following up on the suggestions from the meeting and will soon report back on our progress.
Finally, here's a short summary of the status and activities this year so far:
- We now have 14 chapters (2 new chapters since the beginning of the year). Out of these, 4 are European, 2 are Canadian and 8 are US.
- Two chapters in formation have intensified their efforts (Tampa Bay and India) and we hope they can chartered shortly.
- A chapters' reception was held during the 2002 conference, allowing chapter representatives to meet and mingle early in the conference.
- A working meeting with chapter volunteers was held during the conference.
- The work of collecting chapters' resources for the web is in progress, managed by Kerrie Green of the Austin Chapter.
- Creating SIGs is in progress, managed by Karen Gondoly of the Boston chapter.
- Policies and guidelines for chapters are being produced, and the administrative routines are being updated to fit our growing organization.
- Promotion- and start-up kits for chapters in formation and newly chartered chapters are being created.
I'm looking forward to the rest of the year with lots of new energy, and hope to meet even more chapters' representatives at the conference next year!
Director of Chapters and SIGs
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org