December 2006 Job Posts
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We’re seeking an energetic, self-directed leader with substantial experience with user-centered design techniques to manage a team of usability and GUI design experts for Westlaw® (www.westlaw.com), the premier brand in online legal research.
Reporting to the Director of Usability, you will manage a team of usability and user interface design experts, and will work with product developers, programmers, marketing professionals, and outside vendors to ensure ease of use for a variety of user types while maintaining a professional and consistent user interface for Westlaw.
The right person for this position will have substantial experience with:
This position is based in Eagan, MN. Moderate travel is required. West will cover relocation expenses for this position.
Responsibilities and Duties
About Thomson West
Westlaw enables legal professionals to conduct research quickly and easily with an extensive collection of legal resources, news, and business and public records information. It is backed by industry-leading customer service, from technical support to reference attorneys, ensuring the best results from each research session. West's reference attorneys are bar-admitted lawyers with representation from more than 20 states, and the company's customer service departments are staffed 24 hours a day.
Job Title: User-Centered Design Analyst
Company: State Farm Insurance
Location: Bloomington, Illinois
Type: Full Time
The User Centered Design and Research Group at State Farm Insurance is seeking a User-Centered Design Researcher to join an existing team of UCD professionals. The role is responsible for designing and conducting user research for a wide range of software and non-software based products. The primary goal of the role is to ensure usable products and systems are built and/or purchased throughout the organization. This goal is accomplished through 4 means:
1. Performing research on user issues in a laboratory setting, online, and in the field.
2. Incorporating usability principles/research and User Centered Design (UCD) into the architecture and design of user interfaces.
3. Promoting/teaching UCD throughout organization
4. Serving as a "repository" of HCI based knowledge and design.
The skills required for the position are typically associated with a doctoral degree in Human Factors, Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, or related field.
- 2-3 years of experience in user research for software development is preferred. The ideal candidate will have experience supporting UCD in a large corporate environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Excellent research skills including the ability to analyze large and small sample quantitative and qualitative data sets.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Meet with internal and external clients to identify usability research questions, design and conduct studies, and communicate results to interdisciplinary project teams.
- Apply knowledge of usability, Human Factors, Experimental or Cognitive Psychology, and the UCD process to product design including:
o Voice and telephony user interfaces
o Web applications
o Green-screen interfaces
o Intranet and Internet sites (including online help)
o Mobile applications
- Prepare written and oral proposals specifying research to be performed and reporting the results and recommendations of research projects to key stakeholders.
- Conduct user analysis which will drive the design process using techniques such as ethnography, interviews, and surveys.
- Conduct rapid iterative usability testing to quickly improve product designs early in the design cycle.
- Work with business partners to create conceptual designs based on user data.
- Perform post-development usability testing to determine whether finished products have met business and usability objectives and inform designs of future releases.
- Translate research findings into design recommendations. ·
- Brainstorm with project team members to create design options based on business constraints.
- Developing and maintaining corporate graphical, Web, and character-based user interface design style guides.
- Develop research designs and employ project management processes that properly balance the important (and sometimes competing) considerations of methodological rigor, responsiveness to the client, and economic considerations.
- Utilize statistical analysis packages (SAS, SPSS, etc.) to perform analyses when appropriate.
- Develop innovative strategies to answer usability research questions with limited resources.
- Stay current on UCD issues and literature.
Relocation Benefits Apply
State Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Send resume to: Melea Adler, HR Representative
Fax number: 309-735-1722
Director of Web Content
The University of Texas at El Paso is the second oldest academic component of UT System. UTEP, a public Doctoral/Research-Intensive university, offers 81 Bachelor's, 72 Master's, and 13 Doctoral degrees to a diverse student body of 20,000.
For more information about this job and to apply please visit our website at www.utep.edu.
UTEP seeks an experienced and innovative leader in user-centered web development to direct the university's web presence. This position will report directly to the Executive Vice President’s Office.
Required qualifications: Bachelor's degree in human-computer interaction or a related discipline required (human factors, computer science, social science, cognitive science, etc.) and five (5) years of experience in user-centered design, project leadership, and usability. Strong public relations, oral, and written communication skills. Ability to lead through influence and collaboration; must have a proven record of effectively working within a complex organization and must be able to work collaboratively with university faculty, staff, and students.
Human Factors International
Executive Director – Southeast
The ideal candidate will have 10 years or more of experience in usability engineering and/or human factors, including user analysis, interface design, and usability testing. Experience in usability work for commercial applications (Internet, Intranet, back office, products) is a must, as is consulting experience and/or training experience in corporate settings. A graduate degree in psychology (human factors, cognitive, engineering or experimental) or a field related to human-computer interaction is required.
You must be able to not only carry out the entire range of usability work, you must also be able to direct and manage project teams. An Executive Director is responsible for all of the interactions with the client at a high level. This includes working closely with Account Executives to scope the work, write the proposal, present the proposal, close the sale, and manage the work for that client. You will have several clients you are responsible for at one time, and possibly several projects for each client. You will manage and supervise multiple teams doing project work. You will work closely with a remote usability team that is offshore.
Your time is divided between directing project teams and working with Account Executives to scope new work for either new or existing clients. You will become extensively familiar with the entire range of HFI products and services, including consulting, training, and tools. You will be asked to speak to clients and make presentations to upper management about the full range of usability work, as well as institutionalizing usability, metrics for success, and how to make usability routine throughout their organization. You must be able to write clear and compelling proposals, create workable project budgets, and scope client work accurately. If you like to teach, you will also have the opportunity to teach one or more of our world class training courses.
If you like a fast paced environment, multitasking, solving client problems, and making a usability impact within organizations, then the Executive Director position is the right one for you. Some travel is necessary.
The office will be located in Texas, but you can live in any major city in the Southeast. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Usability Specialist
TomoTherapy Incorporated has developed a revolutionary new medical system to deliver conformal radiation therapy to cancer patients. The medical community's tremendous response to the Hi*Art System has lead to significant growth for the company. As a result, we are seeking a highly motivated team player to take a leadership role in creating computer software user interface designs and specifications. As a Senior Usability Specialist, this individual will: collaborate across departments and with customers in gathering user interaction needs and developing user interface designs; conduct task analysis, user analysis, usability testing, and focus group studies; propose user interface designs and gain consensus through the use of appropriate means such as storyboards, page flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes or other visual aids; and create detailed specifications that effectively communicate user interaction designs.
* Master's Degree in Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, or Interaction Design or a Master's Degree in Psychology or Computer Science with a specialty in computer software user interface design.
* 5+ years experience as a member of a team designing user-centered interfaces for Windows desktop and web applications. Senior or lead role strongly preferred.
* Expert skills in user-centered interface design methods, principles, guidelines, platform standards, and best practices.
* Skill in conveying user interface designs through written documentation, prototypes, storyboards, and mockups.
* Ability to assess, prioritize, and recommend trade-offs between business, user, and technical requirements and constraints.
* Proficiency in graphic design and icon design using Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, PowerPoint, and other design tools.
* Experience in the medical equipment industry.
Visit tomotherapy.com to learn more about our technology, the responsibilities and qualifications for this and other positions, and the benefits afforded to TomoTherapy employees. If you meet the requirements of one of our open positions and are interested in working for a growing, dynamic company in Madison, WI, please apply online. No phone calls please.
EEO/Affirmative Action Employer
Recruiter TomoTherapy Incorporated
1240 Deming Way
Madison, WI 53717
Senior Manager, User Research
We are looking for a senior manager, user research to lead the user research practice at a top consumer retail site. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a world-class user experience (UE) team, and help shape user experience strategy under the direction of the senior creative director. This is a direct-hire position in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The ideal candidate will be able to lead the UE team’s designing and planning research efforts, gather user data, analyze research results, and deliver recommendations for both current and future versions of the site. The senior manager will also create experience models, user profiles, low and high fidelity prototypes, and other visual representations of findings and ideas. This person must be proficient in both research and design skills to fulfill the needs of the position.
* Consult on the development of user research activities including participant recruiting and scheduling, material and lab preparation
* Lead a variety of primary and secondary research activities to identify customer needs, and evaluate designs and concepts with customers
* Develop and adapt research techniques as needed
* As appropriate, use storyboards, conceptual prototypes, user models, scenario development, task analysis and other techniques to clarify and refine potential new solutions
* Design research and prepare test plans and interview guides
* Apply variety of analysis tools to interpret data, and identify key patterns and findings
SYNTHESIZE AND REPORT:
* Translate findings into specific, actionable recommendations
* Communicate research findings, recommendations and ideas using experience models, diagrams, prototypes and other relevant techniques
* Create and deliver research presentations to cross-functional teams of business owners, user experience teams and engineers
* Strategize with UE and development teams on how best to implement research findings
* Support development teams with effectiveness metrics on implemented findings
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT:
* Work with creative / UE leadership and business groups to identify and prioritize research projects
* Work to define and teach areas for potential research and methods for the group to learn
* Evangelize user research
* Act as strong customer advocate within the organization
* Manage 1-2 researchers
* Provide direction and feedback to members of the UE team through formal and informal reviews
* Write performance reviews for direct reports
* Teach and mentor research team
* Monitor performance of other researchers, and review test plans and research presentations
* Support researchers with planning, conducting, analyzing, synthesizing and presenting research
* Improve the practice, efficiency and effectiveness of user research
* 6+ years of professional research experience, with a wide range of techniques including usability testing, ethnographic field research, surveys and task analysis
* Bachelor’s degree in Human factors, HCI, Cognitive science, Anthropology, Psychology, Information Design, Ethnography or a related field
* Team lead / management experience
* Experience working collaboratively on multifunctional teams
* Experience supervising junior researchers
* Experience teaching non-researchers now to conduct and participate in research studies
* Experience using online survey tools (Vividence or Web surveyer)
* Strong customer-centered research and design skills
* Excellent visualization skills with the ability to articulate concepts and ideas
* Ability to innovate on process tools and conventions
* Previous experience conducting user research targeted at web sites and/or web-based applications
To apply, please send resume (.pdf, .doc or .txt only) and a brief email including samples and/or URL and contact information to: email@example.com
Subject line: Senior Manager, User Research 1690
If you are already registered with FILTER/TALENT, please login to http://www.filtertalent.com using your email and password to express interest in this job.
Only qualified candidates will receive a response.
For more than 18 years, PSI has maintained our reputation for excellence in Government support services. We are immediately seeking candidates with strong Human Factors Engineering expertise to support our Government customer in Falls Church, VA. This work will support the Air Force Airprint Program.
Work with PSI's client providing subject matter expertise in Human Systems Integration/Human Factors Engineer. This includes evaluating the engineering aspects of HFE/HSI functionality, timelines, planning, integration, costs & risks, and documentation. This also involve acting as liaison and with military and industry experts; assisting with policy and guidance; and participating in hardware/software systems interface product design and design reviews.
Requires a BS or higher in a related engineering field (not psychology). A certificate in HSI/HFE may be considered. Related experience is required in areas such as:
All candidates must have excellent written and verbal communications as well as presentation skills, and command respect in their respective field.
Position requires U.S. Citizenship and a U.S. Government-granted personnel security clearance or the ability to get one in short order.
A graduate degree is preferred as well as strategic, operational, and tactical knowledge/awareness of DoD and/or Air Force military experience. Knowledge of HFE tools such as Saint and Microsaint and prior experience with Airprint, Manprint, or Seaprint a plus.
Quantitative User Experience Researcher - Mountain View
This position is based in Mountain View, CA.
Help us find out about our users! Google is looking for Quantitative User Experience Researchers to analyze logs of user behavior, and design and analyze controlled experiments. You will work closely with our User Experience Researchers, UI Designers, and product teams, who will use your data to help them make decisions about existing and future products.
You will have the opportunity to work on products of all types: web sites like Google search and AdWords, web applications like Gmail and Google Maps, client applications like Picasa and Google Earth, and mobile services like Google SMS.
Knowledge of, or experience with any of the following is a big plus:
For immediate consideration, please apply at this URL:
Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising program, which is the largest and fastest growing in the industry, provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. For more information, visit http://www.google.com/about.html
Google isan Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Two Usability Specialists Positions at Fidelity Investments
Position type: Full-time
Location: Marlborough, MA and Merrimack, NH
Under the supervision of an experienced principal, director or vice president of usability, the usability specialist will:
Qualifications: An ideal candidate for this position will have:
How to apply: Send resume to: Bill.Albert@fmr.com
User Experience Architect
Sudbury, Massachusetts, USA
Collectivity is seeking a dynamic individual for the position of User Experience Architect. Collectivity intends to take full advantage of the new Microsoft WPF, Ajax and XAML technologies. You must be able to lead the adoption of these and other emerging technologies to create exciting, user focused experiences. You will possess a strong desire to produce the highest quality work and will not be afraid to roll up your sleeves with the team. The team will count on you to make our users passionate.
Collectivity is an internationally dispersed, collaborative, high-energy team. We focus on innovative and engaging eLearning & knowledge solutions. We work hard and are not satisfied with anything short of excellence. We expect the same from our teammates. We look forward to discussing how we can satisfy our mutual need for innovation, excellence and teamwork!
Education and Experience Requirements
PS – We are not afraid to take a chance on someone with great potential and less experience. You will just have to prove your potential. We will take the time to listen.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
A Usability & Design consultancy with a growing list of Fortune 500 clients is seeking a creative and skilled Interactive Designer to join their growing creative team. This position requires the ability to translate the client’s brand and business strategies into effective cohesive website and application interface designs utilizing a user-centered approach. This position is temp to perm with a salary ranging from $50k-$75k based upon experience.
The ideal candidate is a creative thinker with broad knowledge of user experience, usability, graphic design, and online technology. Must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively with a team.
• Work with Usability Analysts and Information Architects to translate user needs and client business goals into intuitive, creative, and engaging interactive designs
• Ensure high level of brand, business, usability and design standards are met on every project
• Successfully present design options to clients and express creative ideas in an articulate, well thought-out manner
• Implement innovative and appropriate current marketplace technologies such as Flash into the user interface design.
• Create design requirements, prototypes, and style guides for client projects
• Manage and prioritize projects to ensure on time and high quality delivery of
Portfolio with interactive samples [required]
• Minimum 3 - 5 years experience as an interactive/web designer
• Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
• Ability to own projects and take initiative to get the job done right
• Experience with the full Adobe Creative Suite (CS2) and Flash (action scripting)
• DHTML, XML and CSS skills a plusPlease email resumes and samples to Chris.Miller@CreativeGroup.com
Arrangement: Fulltime employment; must work on site on a full-time basis in Boise ID
Job Title: Human Factors Engineer; User Experience Engineer; User Experience Designer
Location: Boise, ID
Estimated Start Date: January 2, 2007
The Human Factors Engineer position provides technical support services and direction for HFE usability awareness, testing, training and documenting usability test operations.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
-Provide product designers and process engineers with technical information on HFE principles
-Integrate HFE principles into product, process design
-Perform task analysis and customer field studies to generate new:
Web Design concepts
-Generate and test for usability regarding:
Web Design prototypes
-Create a level of usability awareness resulting in design [continuous] process improvements
-Remain current with HFE, cognitive principles curriculum
-Perform training, documentation, development and testing activities
-Work with project-product managers to set usability goals
-Work with client to determine the scope of: tests and programs related to HFE principles
-Design usability studies, focus groups, contextual inquiries, and heuristic evaluations resulting in comparable standard, consistent measures
-Perform data analysis of test results to produce final report
-Report usability test data less than or equal to ten (10) working days after the completion of the usability test, in a “presentation style” format
-MS or PhD (or equivalent experience) in cognitive and/or experimental psych and 2 years of related experience
-2 years of experience with web user interface design and usability testing
-Rapid prototyping experience
-Experience designing, developing, conducting, analyzing usability tests
-Experience with compiling technical reports based on test results and presenting findings
-In-depth knowledge of HFE principles relevant to web application user interface design
-In-depth knowledge of website usability evaluation techniques
-Expertise in user-centric:
Website design process
Perception, cognition techniques
-Able to drive new ideas, concepts; work effectively in multi-functional, cultural environment
-Prototyping skills using rapid development methodology
-Ability to gather and analyze data, express ideas effectively
-Can be effective, organized, prepared in changing work environment
If you are qualified and interested, please email your resume in MSWord format to Aboschetti@kohlgroup.com at The KOHL Group. Please include a brief note mapping your skills and experience to the requirements of this job description. THANK YOU!
Since 1984 The KOHL Group, Inc. has consulted in the technical and business aspects of Information Systems and Technologies. Our staff includes distinguished industry, business, and technology leaders and IEEE Fellows. KOHL clients include some of the most prestigious organizations in the world: US and International Service Providers, Equipment Manufacturers, Research Laboratories, New Technology Companies, and Venture Capital Firms. Our areas of expertise include Human Factors – Usability & User Experience Design; strategic planning; regulatory; technologies and engineering development and assessment; operations and support systems; and network planning, design, and implementation. KOHL products and services include business and technical consulting; technical and market research; technology creation, development, and assessment; architecture and engineering design; operations and support systems plans and requirements; and research reports, seminars, and training. Visit our website www.kohlgroup.com.
Consumer Experience Design (CXD) is the organization responsible for defining the physical and digital experience of Motorola’s mobile devices. To achieve this, we employ a user-centered design approach in order to optimize business strategies, build our brand, ensure usability and develop rich experiences. Our group is responsible for defining the physical and digital experience of Motorola’s mobile devices. Our activities include industrial design, interaction design, screen and information design, color, material and finish specifications, product graphic design, task flow specifications, lighting and visual media design, sound design and animation.
We work with global and product marketing teams, systems engineering, software development, mechanical and electrical design, business groups and our advanced technology labs. In addition to our offices in Libertyville and Chicago Illinois, we maintain specialist and regional teams in Beijing, London, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul and Singapore.
Scope of Responsibilities/Expectations:
Through organizational and operational design activities, Design Operations team members provide the infrastructure in which the design staff perform their daily work. Our focus areas include Design Process and Knowledge Management.
The Design Operations Analyst for Design Process is responsible for the creation, optimization, documentation and socialization of user-centered design processes, as well as for the identification of tools and resources used to support these processes. Primarily, this team member will focus on the design, documentation and communication of internal methodologies and processes, while fostering an open relationship with the teams we support; this involves working with UI designers to assess best practices and formalize them. Process work, however, is not limited to internal processes and methodologies, but extends to the larger Mobile Devices organization.
The Design Operations Analyst for Knowledge Management is responsible for the maintenance and expansion of the training program which supports new hire ramp-up as well as the growth and development of existing designers. In addition, this team member will utilize knowledge management tools and techniques to improve the overall collection, organization and dissemination of information within the organization.
All Design Operations team members focus on quality improvement initiatives and serve as a resource to new and experienced designers, providing logistical guidance to how UI design is done at Motorola.
We are seeking candidates with experience or an understanding of usability and user-centered design principles, development techniques, research methodologies and business drivers, as well as an eagerness to learn. Experience working as a process designer and an interest in optimizing, refining, and communicating processes is desired.
Qualifications for Design Operations positions include:
• Interest in knowledge management and/or process design, definition and management with an insatiable appetite to solve problems
• Ability to articulate usability and experience issues and drive common understanding with work partners inside and outside the organization.
• Big picture comprehension, balanced with detail oriented approach to work projects
• Flexibility in a quick paced environment with changing priorities and an accelerated design schedule with tight deadlines.
• Ability to project-manage activities and prioritize work and issues. Must be able to operate with transparency and have a clear understanding when to involve management and escalate.
• Strong presentation skills and an ability to facilitate meetings and process design sessions effectively.
• Strong leadership and team-building skills
• Proven ability to apply critical thinking to processes, tools and resource development and refinement.
For immediate consideration - follow the following link:
Explore all of the opportunities at Motorola
Great People. Great Products. Great Company.
Expand your possibilities with Corel.
Corel Corporation is a leading global packaged software company with distribution in over 75 countries with anestimated installed base of over 40 million users worldwide. Corel provides high quality, affordable and easy-to-use productivity, graphics and digital imaging software. Corel's product portfolio features well-established, globally recognized brands including CorelDRAW® Graphics Suite, Corel WordPerfect® Office, Corel Paint Shop™ Pro, and Corel® Painter™.
We are currently looking for an outstanding individual to join our User Experience team for our Paint Shop family of digital imaging products. This position is a full-time position located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
This position offers excellent challenges and opportunities to grow your skills using some of the most exciting technologies. If you want to be part of a highly energized team that creates award-winning applications, look no further.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
Attn: Christine Hoffman
7905 Fuller Road
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
To learn more about Corel please visit our website at www.corel.com
text starts here