UPA Job Bank: November 2012
The Job Bank is a service of the Usability Professionals' Association, listing jobs for usablity and user experience professionals.
Back to the Job Bank
Posted on: 29 November 2012
Are you a black belt practitioner in the Art of Usability?
Are you eager to apply your magic for the good of hundreds of thousands of people?
Wild Apricot cloud software is already used by over 5,500 of small non-profits, clubs, and associations – to manage their websites, handle event registrations, organize members, process payments, send out emails, and much more. They can’t afford training or hiring expensive staff and have to rely on busy volunteers.
To help more people, we strive to make Wild Apricot easier and easier to learn and use – while making it more powerful and sophisticated!
Obviously, this is not possible without some magic. So far, our visual designers, business analysts, product manager, developers, and testers managed with some home-brewed potions. To take it up a notch, we want a Usability Wizard on our team.
Please send us your resume via your pet owl (email will do too).
Key objectives for this position for the next 12 months:
- Conduct ongoing user research (most of our users are remote). Connect with users via our discussion forums, organize local user group meetings; conduct telephone user interviews, analyze support interactions. Document and share findings and insights.
- Perform iterative heuristic usability reviews for all product changes/additions, from design stage to the final rollout.
- Collaborate with business analysts and designers to implement and follow user-centered design process
- Build the usability improvements roadmap - prioritized sequence of specific improvements steps.. Factor in: huge existing product functionality; 500+ wishlist requests; addressing frequent support questions; minimizing disruption for existing users
- Pilot and refine ongoing remote usability testing with representative users.
- Participate in the design and rollout of our brand-new mobile interface.
- Participate in product usage/user behavior analysis (e.g. via product instrumentation with tools like Apptegic or Totango). Generate usability improvement insights. Conduct A/B experiments to validate.
Wild Apricot cloud software (http://www.wildapricot.com/about-us ) is 6 years old. We are headquartered in Toronto with a subsidiary development office in Moscow, Russia. Between the two offices, we have 55 people (http://www.wildapricot.com/meet-the-apricots ) and counting.
We are a team of professionals, proud of what we have already achieved and excited about our ambitious growth plans.
Our environment is casual and fun – you get to pick your own Apricot nickname!
Great office location – downtown Toronto right by Union station
Posted on: 21 November 2012
About ROKU: Roku is the leading streaming platform. Since launching the first Netflix streaming player in 2008, Roku has delivered entertainment to millions of streaming players in the U.S. Roku features more than 600 entertainment channels including Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Angry Birds and HBO GO. Award-winning Roku streaming players are renowned for their ease of use, value and selection of content. Roku players are sold through leading retailers in the U.S. Roku is founded by Anthony Wood, inventor of the DVR. For more information about Roku, visit www.roku.com
Role: We believe great design comes from fusing the art and science of design, but both are rarely found within a single individual. We prefer to create a team with some people specializing in the art of design and others in the science of design. So if you’re being told you’re not a designer because you can’t draw or use Photoshop, then take heart… we need an interaction designer with expertise in the science of design; an individual who can channel his/her passion for user-centered design excellence to deliver solutions inspired by a deep understanding of people.
However, this is not an academic exercise. We work collaboratively to produce and ship real products. To that end, we need a team player who can turn a variety of input and requirements into clear and simple solutions. We need you, if you love working directly with a wide range of partners and clients, bringing a diverse set of experiences to life across 1, 2, and 10-foot UIs; if you can effectively engage in projects from concept to production, nail the details, and enjoy collaborating with other designers, software engineers, product managers, and marketing to deliver compelling experiences.
Does any of this resonate with you? If so, then consider joining our UX team. We’re a small team that’s highly experienced, at the table, and impactful.
- Use data and your knowledge of people’s mental, behavioral, social, and/or psychological qualities to create highly useful and usable solutions
- Define design patterns, solutions, best practices, and guidelines to share with our Partners and to apply in creating a diverse set of Roku channels and applications
- Drive win-win solutions addressing and balancing both Roku’s objectives and requirements as well as our Partners’ needs and perspectives
- Communicate effectively and professionally with team members and Partners in both written and verbal form
- Work within a small and tight UX team driven to continually improve its craft, efficiency, and impact
- Represent and ensure UX integrity when collaborating with marketing, engineers and product managers to address brand, technology, and business requirements
- Explore a variety of design directions in a rapid iterative fashion
- Deliver work products that span all project phases from concept and design to production and documentation (e.g., evaluations, task flows, scenarios, information architectures, interaction models, wireframes, storyboards, low-fidelity prototypes, specs, guidelines)
- Clearly and concisely present, educate, justify, and analyze design concepts, solutions, and alternatives
- Interpret and extend our brand in defining and unifying an interaction design language across a range of UI platforms from websites, to mobile and TV
- Help establish and improve Roku’s design culture (best practices, tools, deliverables, communications, relationships, etc.)
- 10+ years of design experience
- Deep user empathy and being a tireless champion of the end user
- Solid interaction design foundation (ideology, process, tools, deliverables) at every stage of a product design and development life cycle
- Think holistically, see the bigger picture, and work at the systems level to deliver coherent solutions with clear roadmaps
- Desire and ability to relentlessly up-level and push for improvement
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and successfully juggle multiple, varying assignments through to completion in a fast-paced environment
- Apply interaction design strategies across multiple screens (10, 2, and 1-foot UIs)
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Background in human sciences preferred (psychology, cognitive science, human factors, etc.)
- Consumer TV, mobile and/or tablet design experience
- Low-fidelity prototyping is a plus
Characteristics of success at ROKU:
- Self-motivated individual who takes ownership
- Positive attitude
- Non political
- Results oriented
- Hands on and team orientation
- Desire to win in a highly competitive environment
How to apply: http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?aj=o1qNWfwU&s=UPA_User_Experience
Professor and Department Head - Communication and Media
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Posted on: 14 November 2012
The Department of Communication and Media at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY invites applications for a tenured position at the rank of Professor and Department Head in the areas of Human-Computer Interaction and/or New/Digital Media. The successful candidate will join an interdisciplinary faculty whose research broadly engages communication in technologically mediated environments and is situated within the fields of rhetoric, communication, media studies and design, game studies and design, literature, HCI, and anthropology. The Department offers B.S. programs in Communication; Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication (EMAC), with the Department of the Arts; and Games and Simulations Arts and Sciences (GSAS), with the Department of the Arts and Department of Cognitive Science. The Department also offers M.S. degrees in Communication and Rhetoric, Human-Computer Interaction, and Technical Communication and a Ph.D. in Communication and Rhetoric.
We are especially interested in candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
• human-computer interaction;
• digital or new media theory;
• cultural impacts of new media;
• social media;
• media globalization;
• discourse studies.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. or appropriate terminal degree, or foreign degree equivalent, as well as a substantial record of high quality research and outstanding leadership and administrative skills. A record of securing external funding is required.
The successful candidate will be teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and be expected to maintain an established, ongoing research program in an area of specialty, as well as to contribute to curriculum development within the department and interdisciplinary programs within the School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences and the Institute. As Department Head, the incumbent also provides leadership and long-term planning while directing the academic, operational, and budgetary activities of the department. The Department Head will be expected to foster creative and deliberative processes with the department’s faculty members in order to refine and advance the vision and mission of this interdisciplinary department.
Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, please submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for five (5) professional references to: Dean’s Office: School of Humanities, Arts & Social
Sciences, Search: Dept. Head, Communication & Media, Attn: Kimberley Osburn, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 110 8th Street, Troy, NY 12180, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome candidates who will bring diverse intellectual, geographical, gender and ethnic perspectives to Rensselaer’s work and campus communities.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Contact Us: email@example.com
User Experience Designer
Posted on: 14 November 2012
To apply: https://careers-teletracking.icims.com/jobs/1527/user-experience-designer/job
The User Experience (UX) Designer designs, prototypes, and champions useful, usable, and desirable user interfaces for Teletracking’s portfolio of software products, including mobile, desktop, and embedded application platforms. Successful candidates should have a demonstrable track record of creating applications that are appropriately learnable for their domains, and a willingness to discover and respond to customer, user, and company needs.
Workiing closely with the solutions engineering teams, the User Experience Designer will rapidly investigate and analyze requirements, analyze and document user profiles and workflows, develop or apply appropriate UI paradigms, and offer highly usable interface solutions. You must have a passion for user-centric design and be a strong communicator. You must be able to identify alternative design strategies, assess design viability and rapidly transform business requirements into a user interface design. You must be an expert in human factors/UI design, a true advocate for the end-user, and have sufficient experience to understand what is achievable within technical and schedule constraints.
- Gain deep understanding of our users by condutcting user research and evaluating site and user data
- Develop stories, wireframes, and requirements with emphasis on simplicity and ease of use
- Meet with stakeholders and project teams to understand user needs, interpret product goals, and determine design objectives
- Make recommendations regarding the usability of existing web, mobile, or desktop applications
- Rapidly prototype web portal and application solution design, look, feel and aesthetics
- Create UI mockups, UI flow diagrams, and final UI designs
- Develop style guides for consistent UI experience
- Develop scalable and flexible design frameworks to maintain clean and simple user interfaces as we grow
- Conduct user testing to gather user feedback, needs, and insights to identify new and validate existing opportunities for improvement; Design, organize, conduct, analyze, and document the findings of user interface usability studies
- Define and manage user experience across our platform
- Evangelize UX throughout the organization
- BS in Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related discipline with significant industry experience
- MS in Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related discipline preferred
- Seven or more years experience with user experience, interface design and software development process, preferably for enterprise scale, shipping software products
- Four or more years experience as an information architect, lead interaction designer, user experience designer, or similar role
- Two or more years experience in mobile product development or application design
- The Usability Experience Designer should have deep knowledge and practical experience in software design, from design concept creation to development and release
- Solid proficiency in a variety of design and prototyping tools such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Passionate about latest trends in interactive experiences across a variety of mediums with a strong desire for innovation
- Attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, written, problem solving, oral and diagrammatic communication skills
- Knowledge of User Interface Design, User Centered Design & Usability
- Experience designing in conjunction with various development methodologies
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work with end users to transform explicit and implicit user needs into requirements (and the ability to distinguish between the two)
- Initiative and self motivation to work independently on projects
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Software development experience with ASP.NET will be a plus
- Above all, a love for great usability, products, and design
The above statements are intended to provide the general nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and requirements
TeleTracking Technologies, Inc. employees shall adhere to all of TeleTracking Technologies policies and procedures including those relating to confidentiality and security of our data assets. This includes limiting individual’s access to only that protected information necessary to perform job duties as required under HIPAA.
Sr. User Researcher
El Segundo, CA (Close to LAX airport)
Posted on: 14 November 2012
How to Apply:
Leads360 is a market leading provider of cloud-based lead management and sales automation solutions proven to deliver smarter, more efficient lead distribution and sales processes for improved conversion rates. With unmatched expertise, drawn from a dedication to helping more than 5,000 clients automate and improve their lead distribution, response and conversion processes, Leads360 has become the platform of choice for organizations focused on improving customer acquisition practices and business performance.
Leads360 is a three-time winner of the Los Angeles Business Journal Best Place to Work award, and we have a strong culture based on the principles that each of us act as owners; seek the truth; collaborate and listen; expect to be accountable; embrace change; obsess about making our clients successful, and value work/life balance. We offer lots of in-office perks, and a competitive benefits package to each team member.
Leads360 is a privately held company, recently recognized as one of the fastest growing companies in North America by Deloitte and backed by financial investors Rustic Canyon Partners and Volition Capital., We are looking for qualified, energetic, innovative, team-players to help take the business and the solutions we offer to new heights.
Senior User Researcher
Lead user and product research for projects, including creating and implementing research plans and schedules for multiple projects, determining which methods to perform, and creating a repository of data for supporting optimal decision-making across the organization. Perform a variety of research, from field studies and usability evaluations to quick online research. Lead the collection and integration of analytics and usability data. Work with vendors to perform outside studies and research. Create user profiles. Perform competitive analyses. Contribute to ongoing process improvement, including best practices and standards.
- Lead user research projects, including conducting field studies, usability research, competitive analyses, and expert reviews and analysis
- Lead analytics and the integration of analytics and usability data
- Create a repository of data for supporting optimal decision-making across the organization
- Create prioritized lists of issues based on set criteria
- Create user profiles
- Perform task analyses
- Work with UX team members to create optimal solutions to identified issues
- For some projects, act as the User Experience Project Lead, managing the project schedule and approvals for the User Experience team deliverables
- Ensure that user requirements are carefully balanced relative to the technical constraints and business requirements
- Create solutions designed to scale and grow over time, as the functionality and content matures and as user requirements evolve
- Contribute to ongoing process improvement, including best practices and standards
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in designing, conducting, and analyzing usability evaluations and user research for large-scale, corporate web sites and web applications
- A minimum of 2 years of B-to-B experience desired
- Experience planning and conducting lab usability evaluations, field studies, heuristic evaluations, surveys, and participatory design methods
- Must have thorough knowledge of usability methods and when to apply them
- Must be proactive, innovative, and extremely detail-oriented
- Strong working knowledge of Internet technologies
- Familiarity with the limits and constraints of design for the web and across different browsers
- Ability to integrate the requirements of different teams and business units and ability to negotiate to create a unified user experience
- Experience with project management, including setting schedules and delivering to those schedules
- A degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Ethnography, or extensive work in user experience research
- Able to interface effectively with Developers, Product Managers, and Designers
- Must be proactive and innovative
- Must be able to work in a team environment with an iterative design process
Compensation and Benefits:
- Must be able to work in a team environment with an iterative design process
- Compensation based on experience
- 3 weeks of vacation and 8 company holidays
- Competitive Medical/Dental/Vision Plans
- Company-provided Life and Long-term Disability insurance
- 401K with company matching contributions
- Stock Options
What others have to say about us:
- Money talks - Leads360 was recently featured on TechCrunch regarding our latest round of VC funding.
How to Apply:
Sr. UX Architect
Posted on: 13 November 2012
The Senior UX Architect will be a major contributor to the development and optimization of the OnlineShoes website. This role requires a skilled UX leader, who can build consensus and inspire other team members to do great things. They are not only a team player but also a key stakeholder in evolving the OnlineShoes site. The ideal candidate should be comfortable “wearing many hats” and working both independently and alongside other cross-functional team members.
The Senior UX Architect responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ability to work with stakeholders and executives to illicit business requirements and key success metrics in order to translate those requirements into an effective and compelling user experience
- Write/create relevant documentation, which may vary from project to project, including wireframes, user flows, user stories, and interaction specifications
- Working closely with cross functional Agile teams in a fast paced environment to identify user interaction and the “minimal releasable product” while fostering open and collaborative team interaction
- Plan, lead, analyze and communicate qualitative and quantitative research to guide business decisions and drive change by translating your research insights into actionable recommendations.
- Contribute to the strategy and implementation of a customer-centric Experience Design methodology, which may include: Persona development, User and business goal analysis, workflow and information architecture diagrams.
- Constantly evaluating and improving key metrics such as conversion, retention and while balancing revenue with an exceptional customer experience
- Presenting to and influencing senior management at both strategic and tactical levels.
- Help champion usability standards and user experience/user-centered design for the most intuitive and delightful website experience, including navigation, page layout, and content restructuring.
- Be the primary product owner for key components of the site. Evaluate and continually optimize them from inception through launch and beyond.
- Actively drive the development of UX processes, deliverables and standards guides for Onlineshoes.
- Actively solicit and accept design feedback from cross functional teams across a variety of high visibility projects
- Stay abreast of innovations in UX best practices, tools and topics of interest to the UX community and retail/ecommerce industry trends across a variety of markets and devices.
Experience & Education:
The ideal candidate will have the following skills/qualifications:
- MA or BA in HCI, Cognitive Psychology, Human Factors, , UI Design/Development or related degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 4 years experience in user interface design, user interaction design, product design or information architecture.
- Demonstrated experience developing user scenarios, navigation flow charts, storyboards, wireframes, mockups and UI functional specifications
- Strong experience in user research across a variety of qualitative and qualitative methodologies including usability testing, large scale survey development, heuristic analysis and customer satisfaction measures
- Deep knowledge of UX industry standards, usability, trends in web design and ecommerce including cart and checkout optimization.
- Demonstrated experience using web analytics data and A/B or multivariate testing to evaluate, inform and guide UX design decisions.
- High-level understanding of web site/web application functionality with an understanding of the relevant technologies (i.e. AJAX, CSS) and their inherent strengths and limitations relating to UX design.
- Highly proficient with UX design tools such as Omnigraffle, Visio, Azure etc.
- Comfortable balancing multiple projects and priorities in a highly dynamic, rapidly growing and evolving environment.
- Exceptional communicator, collaborator, and influencer; both in written and verbal communications.
- A self-starter, that requires little handholding, motivated and driven by their passion for user experience.
- Familiarity with evolving or integrating UX into Agile or Scrum development processes
- Experience designing UX for tablet and smartphone devices is a very big plus.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with developing high fidelity interactive prototypes
- Experience with user generated content and content management systems
- Experience building design and interaction pattern libraries
- Interest and experience in retail and especially shoes
Based in Seattle, Washington, Onlineshoes.com is one of the top 5 premier online shoe retailers in the country. We continue to grow our presence in the ecommerce industry, and we are looking for the best, and the brightest talent to join our team as we continue on our path of stellar company performance. If you like a challenge, are intrigued by customer behavior and want to be part of something big, then we’d like to speak with you.
To apply: http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Jobs.aspx?c=qR29VfwH and then click on the Sr. UX Architect posting to apply.
Sr. Manager, Interaction Design
Posted on: 13 November 2012
Build and lead a team of Interaction designers who will develop prototype user interface for next generation products.
Essential Job Functions (includes but is not limited to):
- Establish, plan, direct and implement the user interface design.
- Implement the prototypes for demonstration and design validation.
- Work with product development team to design online user experiences that achieve the goals of the online entity.
- Review current products for user interface improvements.
- Design and implement design guidelines and style guide for application developers to follow.
Note: In addition to the Essential Functions, also performs similar work-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience developing highly interactive B2B and B2C web content.
- Experience developing web-based user interfaces for enterprise application.
- Experience with wireframe application prototyping tools.
- Experience optimizing web user interfaces for mobile experiences.
- In-depth knowledge of process and product technologies in Human Machine Interface.
- Experience developing User Interfaces for Windows forms applications.
- Experience with Microsoft Expression and Sketchflow.
- Experience with Microsoft Silverlight.
- Experience developing HTML5-based user experiences.
- Experience developing user experiences that include jQuery, modernizr, and/or ASP.NET MVC 4.0.
- Demonstrated management experience with strong leadership skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree with a minimum of 8 years related technical (i.e., Web Based User Interfaces) and management experience.
Travel Requirement, Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to travel locally for activities such as meetings, classes, and workshops.
- Must be able to travel occasional by air as needed to attend training, conferences, and related activities.
- General office environment. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
- Office environment where the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. Some walking, standing, bending, reaching, and carrying of light items such as papers, books, small parts; driving an automobile, etc. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, and other office equipment.
To apply: http://www.morphotrust.com/pages/1188-senior-manager-interaction-design
Director of User Experience
Salt Lake City, UT
Posted on: 07 November 2012
Full Time, Permanent position
To Apply: http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?bj=oSsGWfwG&s=UXPA
We are a rapidly growing company seeking a Director of User Experience that will play a senior role in championing a user centric approach to our business while improving performance against our key metrics. The ideal candidate will be a passionate advocate for user experience and have demonstrated the ability to work across large cross-functional teams. We are looking for proven experience developing best in class user experiences on content publishing, ecommerce and interactive community websites.
- This position is tasked with aligning our product roadmap with market needs and creating elegant solutions within a complex technical framework. Define and manage the user research plan and incorporate findings into the design process
- Work within cross-functional teams & executive teams to articulate needs of the end user across multiple audience segments and multiple platforms
- Optimize products by closely analyzing user engagement performance metrics and testing alternate design solutions
- Drive the adoption of user personas and scenarios to clarify results of user research and focus the team's design efforts on the needs of key users
- Collaboratively developing prototypes for demonstration of concepts
- Demonstrated ability to develop big ideas, and execute flawlessly against them in a highly collaborative environment
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- A portfolio of innovative, practical, and inspiring work
- 7+ years experience in interface, visual and UX design
- Ability to prioritize and manage projects in a busy production environment
- Background in UX best practices and methods, including wireframes, flows, interaction models, user research and testing, etc.
- Deep hands-on experience developing successful web interfaces and compelling user experiences on both PC and mobile
- Experience with consumer facing community or ecommerce web sites. UX
San Francisco, CA
Posted on: 07 November 2012
Join Wells Fargo’s Wholesale Internet Solutions User Experience Research (UxR) team as a User Researcher (Market Research Consultant 2). This is a full-time, permanent position. The UxR team, focused on CEO portal (CEO, iCEO, mobile, and tablet), products, services, and the public site, uncovers and translates user goals and needs to drive customer-centric business decisions and experience design.
The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge of user research and a proven track record of successfully consulting and partnering with product management, experience design, and other insight functions. This person will also demonstrate proven ability to influence business decisions through the concise and clear communication of data-driven insights that tell a story.
- Consult with partners to design and conduct qualitative user research studies
- Develop and evangelize the user-centered design (UCD) process within Wholesale by facilitating stakeholder workshops and creating UCD methods and tools
- Synthesize findings across UxR studies and integrate insights with other insight functions (i.e., Analytics and Ethnography)
- Contribute to continually improving the UxR practice to meet demand for customer feedback and timely insight
- Five plus year’s related experience within an online services-driven company
- Proven ability to work with a variety of business partners effectively
- Ability to manage and execute on multiple projects at once
- Proven ability to collaborate within and across teams and functional areas
- Prior experience interpreting, combining, explaining and applying customer information from diverse sources in an understandable and useful ways
- Solid communication, presentation, influencing and relationship-building skills
Graduate degree (MA, PhD) in social science discipline (psychology, anthropology, sociology) or advanced course work in Human Factors / Human Computer Interaction disciplines.
Knowledge of statistics and customer analytics.
This position is based in San Francisco
Please go to wellsfargo.com/careers/findajob - accepting applications until November 14, 2012.
Requisition #: 3660789
Principal & Lead UX Designers
Applied Predictive Technologies, APT
Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro Area)
Posted on: 02 November 2012
Seeking Principal & Lead UX designers for DC-based SaaS web application
APT is seeking a few great UX designers to join our rapidly growing 200-person company. With strong support from company executives, this is a great opportunity to establish yourself as a leader and help build a UX team. Do you have a passion for creating intuitive and enjoyable front-end experiences? We’re looking for individuals excited about building analytic workflows and working with huge amounts of data to create intuitive experiences for the users of our enterprise web application. Your interfaces and interactions will be critical components helping the world’s largest companies (e.g. Wal-Mart, Starbucks) make multi-million dollar decisions with confidence. A sampling of your job responsibilities include:
- Lead and take ownership of all facets of UX to make a great product
- Develop user interaction and interface deliverables, including sketches, wireframes, and visual designs
- Understand and incorporate users’ needs into UX development process
- Help build a roadmap for an innovative and holistic user experience across APT’s software
- Lead usability testing
- Collaborate with team members (product managers, front end developers, and other UX designers) through the entire design and development process
- Thrive in an agile work environment
We’d love to hear from you. See our full job descriptions at http://joinAPT.com, and apply via our website at http://www.predictivetechnologies.com/en/index.cfm/careers/apply-now/?preselect=2012Fall-UXSite. Please note that this site will require your resumé, cover letter and transcript as a PDF. Portfolios will also be requested.
Human Factors System Engineer
Siemens Medical Solutions USA, Inc.
Hoffman Estates, IL
Posted on: 02 November 2012
Full Time Position Permanent
The Angiography & X-ray (AX) division of Siemens Medical Solutions, Inc. has an opening for a Human Factors System Engineer to design, evaluate and implement interface design solutions for cardiac catheterization lab products. The team develops hemodynamic and electrophysiological recording systems as well as billing and reporting tools for the cath lab. The position is located at our Hoffman Estates, IL facility.
Position Description: The Human Factors System Engineer in our organization is responsible for:
- Requirements Analysis – Analyze product requirements and develop user interface requirements
- Human Factors Engineering – Apply knowledge of user-centered design methods and industry best practices to develop requirements for human-computer interfaces and the overall user experience.
- User Interface Design – Design usable and intuitive product user interfaces according to standards and design principles
- Requirements Development – Write user interface specifications including UI layout , descriptions of interface elements, and proper use of controls
- Prototyping – Develop functional, operational, physical, and user interface architectures for our medical products
- Usability Studies – Conduct usability studies, develop user profiles, design usability tests, and write formal reports
- Workflow Analysis – Work with our customers to understand clinical workflows and clinical requirements
- Design Reviews – Review existing product designs and identify necessary enhancements
- Risk Management – Identify, assess, and develop mitigations to product risks based on usability and potential user error
The following are specific responsibilities of the Human Factors System Engineer:
- Assist lead Human Factors System Engineer and collaborate with Systems Engineers, Software engineers and Hardware engineers in the design of complex medical systems.
- Assist management in product planning for requirements development and analysis. Propose new product features and updates.
- Develop and document the product features and user interface requirements.
- Write and maintain requirements specifications according to our standard templates and procedures.
- Work with international development team to ensure proper implementation of specified features
- Perform system integration and testing.
Experience and Competencies:
- Recent graduates are welcome to apply. MS and/or some experience preferred.
- Excellent understanding of HCI, CHI, HFE, as well as UI modeling and UI prototyping
- Excellent team player with a great attitude
- Excellent knowledge about user interface design in PC based systems using Microsoft Windows
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to convey ideas and concepts to a wide range of audience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment as part of a team
- Strong quality orientation and customer focus
- Interaction and collaboration with several departments and locations in the United States, Germany, and India required
- Occasional domestic and international travel required
Education/Equivalent Training Required: BS or MS in Human Factors Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, User Experience Architect, User Interface Design, Interaction Design, or related field required.
How to Apply:
Senior Designer UX (IA)
Posted on: 02 November 2012
Title: Senior Designer UX (IA)
Reports to: Associate Director UX or Director UX, Senior Director UX or Executive Director UX
As a Senior Designer UX (IA) in the CIM User Experience group, your key responsibilities will encompass IA design with a primary focus on the overall user experience for the set-top box interface, as well as Comcast online sites and mobile applications. You will be responsible for establishing and/or evolving UX guides, establishing and/or evolving UX libraries with a expert understanding of user experience best practices and the application of the experience within a wide variety of scenarios.
You will showcase your ability to concept, create, and present user experience concepts to a broad audience and ensure the UX team stays on target and on time.
The Senior Designer UX (IA) concepts and creates IA UX solutions that create experiences that provide effortless choice and control for XFINITY customers. The UX Designer will be responsible for documenting detailed UI specifications, collaborating on end-to-end solutions with directors, art directors, designers, architects and other UX specialists for all CIM products and features, and is an integral member of the UX team’s creative process in delivering world class customer experiences. Active participation and on-going dialogue with Comcast Product managers and development teams is also expected.
- Develop information architecture and navigation paradigms for the discovery, management and consumption of video content.
- Provide strong UX IA design, and support, helping define project approach to accommodate constraints while delivering the best user experience.
- Collaborate with and participate in ideation and concept explorations with the UX team throughout any project lifecycle.
- Deliver UX IA designs in alignment with overarching business and user experience goals.
- Articulate and track project milestones, deliverables and risks with the UX team, in addition to communicating progress, near term tasks/deliverables, issues and accomplishments.
- Serve as a liaison between the UX team members, identifying and participating in UX specific project IA designs that align features and platforms towards a unified strategy. This includes concept sketches, heuristics, flows or wireframes, click-through demos/prototypes and assists in the creation of associated mitigation plans.
- Prepare and deliver UX presentations and road shows representing the user experience organization with in-depth knowledge of why design and information architecture choices are being made.
- Contribute to the growing library of knowledge around user-centered design both through the products developed and best practice research.
- Take the lead on internal and external vendor communication directly related to assigned project(s).
- Mentoring and coaching of UX team members and project oversight.
- Minimum involvement of 3 years designing interactive experiences for mobile, internet or equivalent interactive platforms with a strong ability to successfully organize, prioritize and manage multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- Bachelors Degree in Design, Computer Science, Human Factors or equivalent work experience with any combination of strong Visual Design, Writing, Information Architecture, Presentation and Collaboration skills.
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving for interactive experiences
- Expertise creating or applying interaction systems to create wireframes for screens or pages that expand on an existing application or website design
- Excellent information architecture skills (including, but not limited to: ability to design intuitive interactions (web, mobile, set top box), can organize information to create intuitive hierarchy, understanding of user needs and can design interactive solutions that balance those needs with business goals)
- Expertise with interaction design and documentation
- Ability to understand and apply research findings
- Ability to evangelize user-centered design principles
- Comfort leading the information architecture process
- Ability to operate independently, but able to ask for advice when facing a challenge
- Excellent facilitation, brainstorming and collaboration skills with expert user experience orientation and exceptional people skills.
- Must have a strong understanding of Omnigraffle (or other wireframe related software).
- Proficient with diverse writing, presentation, project management software.
- Demonstrable knowledge of multiple software applications, web services, and cross platform execution.
- Must be comfortable working with established UX guides and/or the ability to assist in their continued evolution.
- Must have strong verbal communication skills, including the ability to speak effectively before staff or other internal groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries with the ability to prioritize and execute.
- Expresses a passion and desire to innovate and push boundaries.
- Experience designing and developing products to large consumer base.
- Experience in an agency environment executing UX a plus (e.g., Razorfish, Sapient, AKQA, etc.); track record of product development-oriented projects preferable.
- Experience with internal/external teams and/or partner relationships and resources.
- A strong portfolio of solid web, mobile and multi-media are required. Broadcast, print, identity, packaging, storyboard sketches are a plus,
How to Apply: www.comcast-jobs.com
Senior Industrial Designer (UX)
Posted on: 02 November 2012
Position: Senior Industrial Designer User Experience (UX)
Reports to: Director UX, ECD UX, VP UX
The Comcast User Experience (UX) team is transforming how Comcast customers access and enjoy entertainment, communications and home management services across all mediums-online, mobile and TV. By assembling the country’s top designers and thinkers, the Comcast UX department is rapidly becoming the premier environment for building and launching one-of-a-kind experiences that make everyday life easier and more entertaining for millions of customers.
The Industrial Designer User Experience (UX)
The Comcast UX team is seeking an Senior level Industrial Designer to drive activities related to Industrial Design of hardware products related to the many efforts the Comcast UX team supports from concept to production, working closely with Product Design and User Experience team.
- Oversee product design life cycle from initial research through conceptualization, to concept completion, including sketching proposals of initial designs, proposing alternative plans, and determining direction in collaboration with senior executives and outside vendors
- Lead efforts to develop and evolve Industrial design language and visual design standards for products that fulfill the physical extension of our brands and demonstrate our commitment to delivering premier experiences
- Prepare sketches of ideas, detailed drawings, illustrations, renderings and 3D models
- Create functional mockups for usability testing
- Determine materials, construction, mechanisms, shapes, color, surface finish, manufacturing processes and packaging
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop and execute a user-centered design process (gathering and synthesizing data about product use, developing models of users and their interactions with our products, designing products and interfaces that meet usability requirements)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Industrial Design, Product Design, Architecture or a related field
- 8 -10 years of experience in the job offered or a related occupation
- Visualization techniques to generate images of concepts, including freehand sketching, 2D design software expertise, 3D CAD modeling/rendering software (Alias, Solidworks, and/or 3D Studio Max etc..)
- Understanding of interaction design principles including User-Centered Design
- Qualified candidates must include an online portfolio and/or relevant work samples with their application
How to Apply: www.comcast-jobs.com
Usability Professionals' Association
promoting usability concepts and techniques worldwide
Job Bank and information about how to post a job: http://www.usabilityprofessionals.org/usability_resources/jobs/
Phone + 1630.980.4997 Email firstname.lastname@example.org